This Spicy Vegetarian Cabbage Soup recipe is chock-full of healthy veggies, it’s naturally vegan and gluten-free, and so hearty and delicious!
- 30 minutes
- 60 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, peeled and diced
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 pound Yukon gold potatoes, diced
- 2 (10-ounce) cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes and green chiles (or simply * fire-roasted tomatoes, for a milder soup)
- 1 (15-ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) can Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 small green cabbage, roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or more/less, to taste)
- 2 handfuls baby spinach or kale
- Kosher salt and freshly-cracked black pepper, to taste
- optional toppings: chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened. Stir in garlic and sauté for 1-2 more minutes, stirring occasionally, until fragrant.
- Add in the vegetable stock, carrots, celery, potatoes, tomatoes and green chiles, roasted red peppers, beans, cabbage, cumin, crushed red pepper flakes, and stir to combine. Continue cooking until the soup reaches a simmer. Then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook for 20-30 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the greens until combined. Then taste and season the soup with salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve warm, garnished with toppings if desired.
More delicious recipes
This is one of the many fantastic recipes available on this blog