I love looking for a reason to use leeks, and the gruyère in this recipe is a great compliment to the leeks. This is also a great dinner for those looking for more vegetarian options.
Cook the leeks in butter or olive oil to soften them.
This quiche ends up being jam packed of goodness! Make sure to spread all of the ingredients as evenly as possible.
Make sure you let the quiche rest after baking. This makes it easier to pull out of the quiche pan.
- 6 slices
- 45 minutes
- 30 minutes
- 3 large leeks, about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 pounds, white and light green part only
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced (optional)
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 whole egg
- 1 quiche crust (Recipe)
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- ¾ cup milk (2% or regular)
- 3-4 ounces Gruyère, grated (3/4 cup tightly packed)
- Chop the leeks into small pieces. Rinse any lingering dirt off of the leeks that appears while chopping them; I throw them in a colander and toss them around under running water.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Heat the oil or oil and butter over medium heat in a lidded skillet or saucepan and add the leeks and a pinch of salt. Cook gently, stirring, until they begin to soften. Turn the heat to medium-low, cover and cook gently until the leeks are very soft but not browned, stirring often, 10 to 15 minutes. If they begin to stick or brown, add a little more salt and/or a spoonful of water or wine. Stir in the garlic if using and cook for another 30 seconds to a minute, until fragrant.
- Beat together the egg yolks and egg in a medium bowl. Set the tart pan on a baking sheet to allow for easy handling. Using a pastry brush lightly brush the bottom of the crust and place in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Add salt (about 1/2 teaspoon), pepper and the milk to the eggs and whisk together. Spread the leeks in an even layer in the crust. Sprinkle the cheese in an even layer on top. Pour in the custard filling. Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until set and just beginning to color on the top.
- Remove from the oven and allow to sit for at least 15 minutes before serving.
More delicious recipes
This is one of the many fantastic recipes available on this blog